Music: Handel's Messiah and its Easter Portions

As part of Holy Week, I'm trying various ways to encourage more reflection on my part on the great events this time commemorates.

Continuing the look at Handel's Messiah.

I'm listening along with a CD to the work. I found this performance in a music store a few years back and bought it as it was the complete work and at a budget price.

Let's look at track numbers 27-28.

Psalm 22:7-8 (Matthew 27:43)

All they that see [him] laugh [him] to scorn: they shoot out their lips, they shake their heads, saying: He trusted [in God] that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, if he delight in him.

On the Cross, Jesus suffered on our behalf.

Looking on the Cross, the people mocked.

From the Cross, Jesus would speak seven times.

As I listen to the Psalm 22:7-8 sung on the CD, I'm drawn to two of the 7 sayings of Jesus on the Cross.

First of all, Matthew 27:46 - "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" which means, My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

This statement from Jesus is a quote from Psalm 22:1 which is part of the Psalm that Handel uses here to describe the derision Jesus experienced.

Jesus appropriating Psalm 22 is profound. The Psalm is a gut wrenching expression of the feelings of abandonment by David. Jesus who had walked with God throughout his life, now bore the sins of humanity on the Cross experienced the isolation we all know because our sin has separated us from God.

The second saying on the Cross that leaps to mind is "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" from Luke 23:34.

The carnival atmosphere of the crowds deriding Jesus stands in stark contrast to the actual meaning of what was happening. The old saying goes, "Things are not what they appear to be." And indeed, what looked to be God's defeat at the death of Jesus was the defeat of sin and death and the beginnings of restoration.

One final thought, I'm drawn to this morning.

Handel utilizes this from Psalm 22 ... let him deliver him, if he delight in him.

Paraphrasing, Let God deliver Jesus, if God delights in Jesus.

Mark 1:9-11 tells us: In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens opening and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased."

Matthew 17:5 described the last part of the Transfiguration (when 3 of the disciples for a brief moment glimpsed the glory of Jesus): He (Peter) was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him."

And indeed, Jesus would be raised from the dead on Easter Morning.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...