Culture: Hot or not?

One of my friends moved to Southern California to get into the business a number of years ago. Well, after many years, he eventually threw in the towel. We occasionally talk about the two most interesting subjects in the world: theology and women.

So onto a non-theological discussion we have had.

He has remarked that living here means you meet a lot of LA Nines. What he meant was that as a typical guy, we do have the habit of rating women based on their appearance. Additionally, since TEN would be perfection, no such person exists, the best would be a nine. However, Los Angeles draws the best of the nines, hence, an "LA NINE."

While randomly reading the latest movie news, my eye was caught by Jenna Fischer one of the cast members of the huge hit the Office and co-star in the film soon to be released Walk Hard.

She had a quote, "I don't feel like I should have gotten it, but I did audition for the role of Sydney Bristow in Alias. I don't think I even got a callback. They said they liked my acting, but I wasn't hot enough."

Jenna Fischer, not hot enough? You've got to be kidding!

Well, I guess hot is a relative term, eh?

Its a tough biz.

I've met my share of aspiring actors living here in Los Angeles. They are talented. How can one remember so many lines to do a stage play? They can create a sense of the emotion of a moment with their voices and expressions. They are all good-looking people. But of course, they have to be discovered.

Let me get on my soapbox for a minute. We all have an aesthetic instinct. However, a lot of this culture's definition of beauty is an illusion.

I've posted this film on this web page before but it is worth a repeat



UPDATE: Here is another one of their films you might want to check out ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should see the movie The Nines.

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...