Devotional Thoughts: I am not silenced because of the darkness


image source: http://www.ffrf.org/fttoday/2006/nov/images/addis-doubt-church-cartoon.jpg

Job 23

Then Job answered and said:
Today also my complaint is bitter;
my hand is heavy on account of my groaning.

Ever felt like this?

I can think of a few things I could (and do!) complain to God about.

Oh, that I knew where I might find him,
that I might come even to his seat!
I would lay my case before him
and fill my mouth with arguments.
I would know what he would answer me
and understand what he would say to me.
Would he contend with me in the greatness of his power?
No; he would pay attention to me.
There an upright man could argue with him,
and I would be acquitted forever by my judge.

Job believes that if he got an audience with God, he would be heard.

I have to confess I wonder if Job is over reaching here?

I think of Isaiah who got an audience with God in Isaiah 6. In verse 5, Isaiah says: Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!

Yet, as one who lives on the other side of Jesus, I can call upon Hebrews 10:19: Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus.

Behold, I go forward, but he is not there,
and backward, but I do not perceive him;
on the left hand when he is working, I do not behold him;
he turns to the right hand, but I do not see him.

The great question for those who believe: how do I know that God is actually there?

None of Job's senses can detect God, yet ...

But he knows the way that I take;
when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.

Do I believe that God is working in my life and that my faith will come out as good as gold after going through tough times?

My foot has held fast to his steps;
I have kept his way and have not turned aside.
I have not departed from the commandment of his lips;
I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food.

Makes me think of that phrase, "man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God." (Deut. 8:3, Matt. 4:4, Luke 4:4)

Job is oscillating between doubt and faith. He goes on to make great statements of faith in the sovereignty of God ...

But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?
What he desires, that he does.
For he will complete what he appoints for me,
and many such things are in his mind.

This ineffable and unfathomable aspect of God leads to tremendous humility and even fear ...

Therefore I am terrified at his presence;
when I consider, I am in dread of him.
God has made my heart faint;
the Almighty has terrified me;

Yet, God has in his wisdom preserved this wrestling match of faith and doubt for believers for all time because what Job went through, we do as well and Job says this in the face of his fears and doubts ...

yet I am not silenced because of the darkness,
nor because thick darkness covers my face.

Lord, let me not be silent. There are doubts that I feel and complaints that I have and I bring them to you. Though human eyes reading this blog will not know and human ears of my friends may not understand, I know I can enter into your presence with a mixture of boldness, humility and fear. As I await wisdom, correction and vindication, give me the strength to walk in your ways and in obedience to your words. Lord, help friends of mine who have given up seeking you to seek you once again. Help friends who are in the midst of trial to be affirmed. Help friends who have never sought you to somehow realize that you are closer than they think and that Christmas is more than just stuff but about life with you. Amen.

3 comments:

Captain Pyro said...

I Just wanted to tell you that Speghediety forgives your ignorance, for now. ARGH!
Venganza.org

Love,
Captain Pyro

Captain Pyro said...

FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM fuck you FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM FSM

Rene said...

This blog gets a certain number of visitors per day from google searches of various types. I also suspect there are a few regular readers. In the end, most don't say anything on the comments section.

I've never really developed a policy on comments.

I've generally taken down anything that is a link to sell something which has no connection to the post.

I've generally taken down anything with foul language.

I've generally taken down things that can only be described as "vandalism."

People have left "sarcastic mail." I actually tend to leave them up if there is at least some tangential connection to my post.

Here would be an example of the latter two categories.

There are people who strongly disagree with the Christian world view. That's been the case since the beginning. I enjoy the give and take for the sake of clarity and possible persuasion. But sometimes the best you can do is agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...