Politics: Choosing a candidate to support

There hasn't been such a wide open nomination race in a long time.

I'm trying to decide who I want to support.

As for full disclosure, I'm a registered Republican. My politics are center, center-right with a little libertarian thrown in.

Mayor Rudy certainly has the inspirational quality from his 9/11 experience and the New York city turnaround. But the hint of scandal seems to dog him and it would be a drag for his candidacy if he is constantly having to to fend off scandal stories. Counter-point: Clinton got elected twice despite a swirl of scandals.

Huck from what I'm told is quite the rousing speaker and that is big part of his meteoric rise in Iowa with the social conservatives. But from what I hear, he is too much the neophyte when it comes to foreign affairs and he isn't so fiscally conservative. Of course Jimmy Carter, Bil Clinton and George W. Bush were also largely untested governors and they all became president!

That leaves me with three serious options left: Mitt, Fred and Johnny Mac.

Mitt Romney has clearly got things organized over at his campaign and his business background gives me some confidence in his ability to get things done.

Fred Thompson exudes that common sense plain talk attitude that works for me.

And John McCain has experience and that maverick streak that might be needed to really shake things up in 2008.

So who shall I pick of these three?

Am open to persuasion.

I'll be checking out their web pages to see what they say about themselves and their views.

UPDATE: One of my political and internet savvy friends sent me the following ....



So according to this widget, my best match for a candidate was Romney with Giuliani and Thompson tied for second!

UPDATE: Found another quiz ...

Check this out.

That one says Romney is my top choice edging out McCain and then Giuliani!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...