Devotional Thoughts: Inspiration of the Scriptures and the Christian Journey

Was talking with a "mentor" the other day.

Can't say I ever formally asked someone to be a mentor except in the academic context.

There simply have been individuals further along in their Christian journey whom I enjoy and benefit from sharing with.

I was asked what I learned about the Christian life from studying the Gospels at my first Fuller Theological Seminary class.

I couldn't really put it into words so I fumbled around saying something about how God has entrusted his message to us. I mentioned that we could have gotten our Scriptures by dictation but God didn't do it that way. Instead, God apparently worked through mortal frail humanity in a mix of oral tradition and written sources. I felt that was truly amazing.

My mentor replied, indeed, God works in our lives the same way. With Scriptures, his intentions are accomplished but through the agency of human means. God is in control but we get to participate. Same in our Christian journey.

A recent Scripture I was reading (not in the Gospels) leaped to mind this morning:
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Lord, some days don't feel very chosen, royal or holy. Thank you for your mercies which are new every morning. Thank you that your love for me is every present even when I don't realize it. Thanks for reminding me that you are in control and I get to participate. Help me to live and work and speak so that your excellencies are proclaimed. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...