Online Personals: Almost mainstream?


At one time, the notion of people using online personals was viewed with some skepticism. It was probably not something many people would have considered or admitted to. But I have to say, I think the evidence is in that the industry has gone mainstream.

One indicator of this was the recent Julie on a Sunset Blvd. Billboard campaign ran by Yahoo! Personals. After the promotional was over, Julie and her favorite date appeared on Good Morning America. They didn't have quite the buzz of the Bachelor or Bachelorette couples (good news) and they certainly didn't have anywhere near the "fame at any cost" aura about them (good news). One can actually say, yeah, maybe they might make it as a couple. Certainly, want to wish them a happy life.

But in my mind, the final proof was staring me in the face when last Sunday night I was watching, Alias. During a commercial break, Dr. Neil Clark Warren appeared on the screen doing a television version of his familiar Eharmony.com radio spots I have heard frequently on ESPN radio and on KRLA-870AM Talk Radio.

Anyone knows how much a 30 second ad costs on a show like Alias? I would imagine it isn't a trivial expense. But apparently Eharmony has that kind of confidence in their service that they would make such a major outlay in the hopes of growing more. Certainly, their Press Information page bears that out.

Within a click of this blog, I wonder how many have tried it? Or know people who have?

Well, you now know at least one. 8-) If you are single, what have you got to lose? Dive in. The water is good.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...