A weekend of history: Reagan passes from the scene and D-day is remembered


News on Saturday started with various stories about the D-day remembrances in France but by the afternoon, attention switched to California as the report came in that President Reagan died. As the weekend progressed, plans for how the memorials will be scheduled took shape.

My first presidential ballot was cast in 1984 and it was to re-elect Ronald Reagan. Many will write about his contributions far more eloquently and with greater detail than I. I voted for him simply because he took a stand regarding the danger posed by the USSR, pointed the way toward a more modest role for government and restored America's sense of its place in the world.

60 years ago, the danger was Nazi Germany and America stood up to take on the great challenge of liberating Europe. Be sure to take time to read at least some of the stories of heroes and details of D-day. When I read the accounts of what it was like to storm the beaches and jump out of planes, I am just amazed.

It is good to know that there are still people who have that kind of courage today.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...