@ the movies: Chronicles of Narnia - the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe



Have you been to Narnia yet?

I confess, I've been twice!

Thumbs up! Three stars out of four! Go see!

This past summer I began to visit Narnia when I bought the boxed set of the Chronicles. I've finished four of the seven books.

Thus, as the film was nearing completion, my anticipation for seeing the film grew.

I can't imagine what the anticipation has been like for people who read the beloved books as children?

The two opening scenes of the film grabbed me by the emotional collar and I knew I was in for a terrific storytelling experience. I am sorely tempted to describe in detail those scenes but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen the movie yet! Suffice to say, as a recent reader of the beloved books, I felt the film-makers have done a marvelous job bringing it to the screen.

The visual effects were quite amazing. As I watched the credits roll, I think I saw FOUR special effects shops involved with the film: Rhythm and Hues, Sony Pictures Animation, Industrial Light and Magic and Weta Workshop.

But the film works because you like the characters ...


Skandar Keynes, Georgie Henley, Anna Popplewell and William Moseley as the Pevensie brothers and sisters.

And there are one or more characters you can relate to ...



Though, I aspire to be as heroic and caring as Peter, I couldn't help but laugh (at myself) when Susan said, "He's a beaver, he shouldn't be saying anything!" or when she said, "Well, it can't be real, logically."

For more memorable quotes, check out IMDB.com.

It taps into the wonders of a fanciful world ...


Lucy's first visit to Narnia

It shows you how seductive evil can be ...


The White Witch and Edmund

And the courage inspired by the knowledge of what is good and love for one another ...


Peter leads the outnumbered forces of good against the White Witch's massive army

Go see the film and afterward talk about the world C.S. Lewis and these filmmakers have imagined and how it looks a lot like our world even if in our world beavers don't talk ... ?

UPDATE: I was thinking of linking to a production photo of Aslan. But I didn't think any of them did justice to the amazing CG work done to bring him to life on the screen. There was almost a hush in the audience as we awaited his first appearance in the film. Aslan's voice is provided by Liam Neeson and he hit it spot on with the right blend of gentleness and strength you would imagine after reading Aslan described in the books.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...