Sports: 1 day to go until U$C vs. UCLA

The table is set.

1:30 PM PST in Los Angeles.

ABC television coverage.

AM 1540 in Los Angeles has radio coverage for Trojan fans.

AM 570 in Los Angeles has radio coverage for Bruin fans.

The hype will continue as game time is a little over 12 hours away. With the kick-off, the talking will give way to what happens between the lines.

I'll be cheering and groaning and hoping for the best as the Bruins try to pull off the upset of the century.

However, in the back of my mind, I'll always remember, it is just a game.

A few hours earlier, two rivals will play and they will play hard and they will do their best to win.

For them, only pride is at stake. For them, there probably aren't any or very many NFL scouts making notes for draft day. For them, for the seniors, the next stop will be Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever freedom needs defending.

Of course, I'm thinking of the Army-Navy game.

As we enjoy our Saturday watching football or not watching football, take a minute or two and pray for our men and women who serve the cause of freedom. Some will be on duty and some may well be at their bases listening to football through Armed Forces Radio.

Take a minute or two to pray for the families of those who have loved ones in harms way.

When I think of their bravery, I think of the famous PBS Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War and of the letter written by Sullivan Ballou:
July 14, 1861
Camp Clark, Washington

My very dear Sarah:

The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days -- perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the Government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution. And I am willing -- perfectly willing -- to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt.

Sarah, my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me to you with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly on with all these chains to the battlefield.

The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when God willing, we might still have lived and loved together, and seen our sons grow up to honorable manhood around us. If I do not return, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper your name.

Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have oftentimes been!

But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the garish day and in the darkest night -- amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours -- always, always; and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.

Sarah, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again.

Sullivan Ballou was killed a week later at the first Battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861.

Go here to see the full text of the famed letter by Sullivan Ballou.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...