@ the movies: Walk the Line

Thumbs up!

Walk the Line is a three stars out of a possible four film.

I saw it a month ago and finally am getting around to posting about it.

The story follows the rise, fall and restoration of Johnny Cash.


The real Cash.

In this regard it is a typical biopic: musician in obscurity gets discovered and rockets to fame and fortune but then stumbles on drinking, drugs and women but then makes a comeback when he gets his life in order.

Clearly the hero of the movie is June Carter whose steadfast love for Cash saves him. There is an amazing scene with her and her parents confronting Cash's drug dealer that had our audience cheering.


Witherspoon as June Carter and Phoenix as Johnny Cash.

Hugh Hewitt mentioned he was disappointed that June and Johnny's Christian faith wasn't explored a bit more. There are hints of it in the movie but I'd have to agree that a few more scenes highlighting that would have been a good thing.

In any case, great performances by the actors, super music that had me off to iTunes to download a few songs for my iPod. I just had to get "Ring of Fire" and "Folsom Prison Blues."


Phoenix as Cash

In interviews, I heard that Witherspoon and Phoenix practiced singing 1/2 a year in preparation for the role. Indeed, it is their voices you hear in the movie. Look for Oscar nominations for both. I think also Robert Patrick might get supporting actor consideration for his role as Cash's father.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...