Culture: Soccer World Cup Bracketology

I have to say I know next to nothing about soccer so I post this more as an observer of culture than as a sports fan.

Since the whole world is about to go World Cup manic, this blog must at least try to comment!

If you have a pool going and have brackets to fill out today, here is some "expert" opinion for you to consider. The usual disclaimers apply: for entertainment purposes only, past performance is not an indicator of future results ...

Round of 16
A1 - Germany - got to believe the home team will do well!
B2 - Paraguay - somewhere in South America right? South Americans are good at soccer.

C1 - Argentina - they are a traditional powerhouse
D2 - Angola - I visited Botswana which is a neighbor!

E1 - Czech - an ESPN analyst really likes them
F2 - Australia - got to root for the team from the land of kangaroos and koalas

G1 - Korea - my upset special!
H2 - Ukraine - nice looking color scheme on the flag

B1 - England - fanatic fans = good team
A2 - Costa Rica - want to visit there someday

D1 - Mexico - that many fans must know something
C2 - Serbia/Montenegro - two countries coming together as one, how sweet!

F1 - Brazil - I suppose the only stone cold lead pipe lock of the tournament?
E2 - USA - A Homer pick, doh!

H1 - Spain - bullfighting? soccer? same skill set, no?
G2 - Switzerland - I heard one of the French players got hurt so Swiss sneak in

Quarterfinals:
Germany vs. Argentina
Czech vs. Korea
England vs. Mexico
Brazil vs. Spain

Semi-Finals
Germany vs. Czech
Mexico vs. Brazil

Finals
Czech vs. Brazil

2006 World Cup Champs: 3-2, Czech pull off the greatest upset in Cup history with an overtime win!!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...