Devotional Thoughts: Not my will but thine

Taking a look Matthew 26:36-46 this morning.

Jesus took Peter, James and John and prayed at Gethsemane.

The first time, he went and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

He came back and found them asleep!

He went a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."

He came back and found them asleep again!

And in verse 44, so he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.

He returns to the disciples and says, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour is near, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise, let us go! Here comes my betrayer!"

Three times he prayer. Each time very intently. After the time in prayer, he was ready to meet his destiny.

It reminded me of the temptation of Jesus described in Matthew 4:1-11.

There are three temptations:
(1) The tempter said, turn these stones to become bread.
Jesus answered, "Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."
(2) The devil took him to the top of the temple and said, throw yourself down and tell the angels to protect you.
Jesus answered, "Do not put the Lord your God to the test."
(3) Satan took him to a very high mountain and showed him the world and said, all this I will give you if you will worship me.
Jesus said, "Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."

Three temptations. Each one escalated the stakes. After the third temptation, the angels ministered to Jesus and Jesus began his ministry.

In the film, The Passion of the Christ the opening scene is at Gethsemane and Jesus prays and faces temptation from the devil once again.

We have no Scriptural evidence that that happened. However, it is rather plausible. A titanic struggle was taking place. It was a tipping point.

In the 3 temptations, the ministry of Jesus was ahead of him. He could have made bread easily as he would do later in his ministry in the feedings of the crowds. The angels were at his command, Jesus, at any moment, could have called them. The devil offered the kingdoms of this world in exchange for worship, but Jesus knew his mission, he was to preach the kingdom of heaven that requires repentance and sacrifice.

After the Garden of Gethsemane, the Cross was ahead of Jesus. Jesus chose that path for our sin and redemption.

One thing is clear: both incidents involve wrestling with "not as I will, but as God wills." That is the core of obedience and temptation. We wage that every day in every decision we make.

Lord, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. And Lord, sometimes, often times, the spirit is weak too. Help me to be in prayer humbling asking for your help each day. Transform my will into greater alignment with your will. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...