Devotional Thoughts: Keeping in touch

Checking out 1 Thessalonians 2:17-3:5.

The Bible is quite down to earth. The Old Testament is a collection of what happened to the people of Israel in their ups and downs of following God. The New Testament are the Gospels (records of Jesus teaching and deeds), Acts (activities of the early church), Letters (Paul and other early church leaders giving advice to churches and individuals) and Revelation (a vivid description of the battle between good and evil).

The passage I'm looking at today is a window into the lives of Paul and his concern for the group of followers. There is no high flying theology here (there is theology nonetheless) but what comes across is the daily grind of what it means to follow Jesus.

But we, brethren, having been taken away from you for a short time in presence, not in heart, endeavored more eagerly to see your face with great desire. Therefore we wanted to come to you - even I, Paul, time and again - but Satan hindered us.

Rene's really loose paraphrase: WE miss you guys and gals! We've wanted to see you but things just keep getting in the way of those plans!

For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? For you are our glory and joy.

Rene's really loose paraphrase: Do you know what makes us really happy? The fact that one of these days we will be having a grand reunion with Jesus when the Kingdom arrives in fullness. We are really delighted to know you all!

Therefore, when we could no longer endure it, we thought it good to be left in Athens alone, and sent Timothy, our brother and minister of God, and our fellow laborer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you and encourage you concerning your faith, that no one should be shaken by these afflictions; for you yourselves know that we are appointed to this.

Rene's really loose paraphrase: I couldn't stand it anymore, so I sent my trusted aide Timothy to check on you and to strengthen your faith amidst the tough times which are an inevitable part of following Jesus.

For, in fact, we told you before when we were with you that we would suffer tribulation, just as it happened, and you know. For this reason, when I could no longer endure it, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter had tempted you, and our labor might be in vain.

Rene's really loose paraphrase: When I was teaching you, I had told you all that we would be under pressure by those who oppose following Jesus and that is what is happening now. You all seemed so worried about this and so since I've been away from you, I've been concerned about you. 2000 years from now, I could pick up the phone and call you but for now, all I can do is send Timothy to encourage you and to hear from him how you all are doing when he gets back to me. I'd feel awful if your faith was shaken and our work with you came to nothing.

Lord Jesus, I pray for people who I know who are wrestling with their faith. Some may be anxious about particular circumstances. Some have felt disillusioned with the church. Some struggle with aspects of the faith that are hard to understand and accept. Lord, bless each one. To the extent, I can be an encouragement, help me to lift them up with prayers, words, deeds and constancy of love. Tomorrow, am sharing with our church's junior high group and I need you to bless my feeble efforts. Allow me, an imperfect and broken vessel to be the means our young people receive the refreshing water of the word so that their faith would be nourished. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...