Sports: UCLA vs. USC - to sell or not to sell that is the question ...

I bought two tickets for UCLA-USC football game earlier in the year when prospects were still good for the Bruins. Alas, now, it is hard to find a UCLA alum football fan who wants to go to see what amounts to be a ritual sacrifice: USC to earn the favor of the BCS gods will kill the Bruins.

My guess is that "style" points will not be needed but since this is a rivalry game, nothing less than total demolition of the opposition is demanded by the faithful. I threw out a 56-0 score as a possibility in one of my prior posts over at my other blog where I have been posting since D-7 and will continue to do a least a daily post about the famed but now moribund rivalry.

Anyway, the question before me: do I sell the tickets?

They are selling above face value. It is highly likely that USC fans are buying up tickets UCLA fans are unloading.

I have not attended a UCLA vs. USC contest live in 24 years. Would I desire to see a blowout?

Or would I achieve some sense of liberterian satisfaction making money on my tickets selling them to a USC fan?

I mean they would be happy to sit in the UCLA section in their red sweaters and make noise as there team steamrolls down the field.

I'd make some money out of it.

I'd be spared attending a game with little to cheer for.

As a good libertarian, that is about as good as it gets: making some money out of a bad situation.

But as a UCLA alum, would that be a denial of faith? A failure of devotion?

What if a miracle occurs and the Bruins pull off the greatest upset in the history of NCAA football and I wouldn't be there?

Or would I feel satisfied with my money in the bank and USC fans sitting in the UCLA section watching the horror of their team fumbling away a shot at the National Title?

Indeed, the existential question remains: to sell or not to sell...

What do you think Dear Rambling Readers?

Help me decide what to do. I still have time to post my tickets on StubHub!

ed. note - I'm only 1/4 serious when I wrote this! I hope people realize I'm being melodramatic to be entertaining as part of the hype in the run up to the game. 8-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the Dodgers-Giants rivalry. When the Dodgers (or more often, the Giants) are mathematically eliminated, Dodger fans are left with one hope - that we can sweep the Giants out of the playoffs. All of a sudden, three meaningless games for us take on playoff importance to keep the hated ones out of the postseason.

I'd say keep the tickets and go unless A) you could use the cash, or they're worth a lot or B) you really could use the time and will be devastated if you use it up watching them get routed. You never know, from my limited college football knowledge I understand that UCLA might be able to do enough damage just by making it a really close game, even without the upset.

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...