Politics: Prop 90 Yes or No?

In a previous post, I mentioned that I was leaning Yes on 90.

However, one of my good friends said that though there is strong sentiment to restrain eminent domain, prop 90 might go too far hampering economic development.

So I'm moving from Yes??? to ???

I'm going to read up a bit more on it and come to a decision by Tuesday.

I'm open to being persuaded.

UPDATE: The coalition against 90 is pretty diverse. You got to wonder when enviro groups team up with chambers of commerce to oppose something.

UPDATE: Check the Yes on 90 web page.

UPDATE: Here is Weintraub's analysis of the proposition.

UPDATE: I'm going to go with a NO vote on this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rene - it was great meeting you at GodBlogCon. I have yet to write up my thoughts on 90, but I'll be doing a series on the propositions soon. Right now I'm leaning very strongly to the Yes side on 90.

Why would environmental groups and city councils unite? Pretty simple, both are threatened by this. City councils, because their ability to grab property as part of "redevelopment" will be taken away, and environmental groups because the law puts boundaries on the crazy requirements we sometimes place on land owners ("well, we know you'd like to just update your kitchen, but you'll have to pay $5k for an environmental study on how that will effect the rare staring frog that inhabits the area 20 miles to the south of your house" :) ).

That's my quick take, I'll give you a link and a trackback once I post the full rundown.

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...