Devotional Thoughts: Day-to-day living

Some parts of the Bible are harder to understand than others. Some parts are straightforward. Am looking at 1 Thessalonians 5:12-22 today and this is one of those how you should live straightforward passages. Not always easy to live out but very clear on what is the right way to do things!

We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.

The first batch of challenges in regards to how people should treat those who are in leadership in the church setting:
respect those who labor among you ...
esteem them very highly in love because of their work ...

In the English language, I don't sense a huge difference between those two words. Any English majors out there reading this blog? 8-) Both words, to me, don't convey a lot of emotion but more thoughtful reflection. For instance, one might have respect for a tough-as-nails drill instructor but might not have much feelings. Would a Greek lexicon help?

Respect is Strong's word number 1492. The definitions listed are to see, to ascertain and to know. Esteem is Strong's word number 2233. The definitions listed are to lead and to consider. Did that help?

Anyway, seems to be similar words and in any case the thing we should do in regards to those who lead in the church.

Then Paul gives a series of exhortations on how to live with one another:
Be at peace among yourselves
admonish the idle
encourage the fainthearted
help the weak
be patient with them all.
See that no one repays anyone evil for evil
seek to do good to one another and to everyone.


Very much in line with the teachings of Jesus.

Then Paul has challenges about how to face the circumstances of life:
Rejoice always
pray without ceasing
give thanks in all circumstances.


Tough ones for me to do consistently as I can, at times, be a whiner!

Finally, Paul has some commands in regards to things of an explicitly spiritual nature:
Do not quench the Spirit
Do not despise prophecies
but test everything
hold fast what is good.
Abstain from every form of evil.


I often wrestle with the question of how does the Spirit work in our lives? How personal should we expect God to be? In what ways does the Spirit intervene in our lives?

As for prophecies, what does that really mean?

We have "special revelation" in the form of the guidance in the Bible. We have "natural revelation" in the form of conscience and reason. Is there "personal revelation" in the form of prophecies? If so, in what way does this happen?

In any case, it would seem Paul is from Missouri (the Show Me state) with his admonition, test everything.

Lord, I look over this list of things and I know I fall short every day. Forgive me when I think only of myself and lose sight of the needs of others. I need help to live this out. I often get discouraged by life's circumstances. Yet, I should know better because I can walk in your wisdom. Grant to me insight into what happens day-to-day to see where I can grow and develop in me a better BS meter that recognizes what is good from what is evil. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...