Technology: The real reason why airlines don't want you to use your cell phone

Saw this item.

Excerpt:

Part of the issue regarding stowing electronics at takeoff and landing, says Smith, has nothing to do with the fabled "interference," but rather the that that they can be dangerous as impromptu projectiles in the event of a sudden stop. Just ask the lady who decided to leave her tray table down and a full cup of Coke on it during my recent return flight from Vegas. Amazingly, it didn't stay where she wanted it to.
......
Smith wisely notes that one big reason for the cell phone rules is that the potential for danger of phones ensures that people won't demand to use them in flight. Most fliers, as we know, despise this idea, but serial chatters are far more, ahem, vocal about the issue. No one wants a war over technology at 35,000 feet. Those days, however, are already arriving in Europe, as onboard cellular systems have already been approved. Will the U.S. see the same? Smith feels it's inevitable, and he's probably right.

I have to say I've dropped my phone in my carry on bag without turning it off so I've always suspected I wasn't the only one and the likelihood that interference with the airplanes delicate electronics was overstated.

The idea of cell phones flying around the cabin during turbulence hadn't occurred to me but that makes sense.

And indeed, the thought of an entire plane yaking on their phones while in flight would be a dreadful thought! It feels weird when people talk on cell phones in the elevator!

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...