MS Walk


Tall Glass of Milk over at Drink This... is participating in an MS Walk on April 18, 2004. It is a great cause. Please consider supporting her at her donor page.

Though my concern about MS is far less personal that TGOM's, I did the Los Angeles Marathon 2001 to raise money for NMSS. I searched my files to see if I could find the fund raising letter and here is an excerpt:
Dear Friends and Family:

Some of you may know that I am planning to participate in the LA Marathon on March 4, 2001. What you might not know is that I am running on behalf of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (www.nmss.org).

Why NMSS?

That was the first question, the young woman at NMSS's Southern California Chapter office asked. To my knowledge, none of my friends or family members suffers from multiple sclerosis (MS). However, in my travels, I have met two individuals who do.

In 1999, while flying back to LA, I sat next to a young man who seemed like he wanted to converse. He occasionally had trouble forming his words. He noticed that I noticed. At that point, he explained to me that he had MS. He told me that nerve cells have a material called myelin and that in MS, myelin is damaged. As such, the brain will send signals through the nervous system but the signals get lost or degraded before reaching their destination.

He shared about his life before MS. He packed in a lifetime in a few short years not knowing that he would lose the ability to do those things. He rode a motorcycle through Central America. He served as a Peace Corp volunteer in Gabon. He lived in Israel. When he got back to America, he worked with young people as a teacher. Then he was diagnosed with MS. It has slowly taken its toll and he can only work part time.

In 2000, I was enjoying the view at Red Rock Crossing State Park in Sedona, Arizona. I saw a woman in a mechanized wheelchair and she said hello and we started to talk. She asked me where I was from and what I did. When I explained I was from Los Angeles and did medical research for a living, she proceeded to share with me about her struggle with MS. She didn't spend too much time explaining and switched back to talking about the beautiful view we had. We could hear Oak Creek burbling in front of us, we could see the blue sky behind the striking red of Cathedral Rock. The sight and sound would have to be enough for her. Life is a gift and gratitude keeps our souls healthy.

I love a challenge and thus, my marathon journey began August 1999 with the LA Roadrunners (www.laroadrunners.com) training group. When I heard about the charity tie-ins to the LA Marathon, I saw NMSS on the list and felt it was the group I wanted to run for. In Chariots of Fire, Eric Liddell remarks, "God made me fast and when I run I feel His pleasure." Well, God didn't make me fast (stubborn perhaps)! But I do feel His pleasure when I run and so will knowing that the miles will also go to a good cause.

How can you help?

Please consider supporting the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. In running for them, I promised to ask friends and family to contribute to NMSS. And if you have nothing better to do on March 4, join a quarter of a million people in LA to cheer on 23,000 as we participate. Sure would be thrilled to see you along the race course or at the end! Thanks a bunch!!
TGOM's reasons are more personal as seen in her post of March 11, 2004:
Please support me on this...

In the fall of 2002, I lost my Aunt Jennifer to Multiple Sclerosis.

On April 18th I will be participating in MS Walk 2004 raising money for research for the cause and a cure for this debilitating and deadly disease.
You can support her here.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...