What is Chivalry?



Here is an interesting item from Frum. Excerpt:
"Chivalry," he writes on p. 185, "is not so complicated an idea as its long and convoluted history might suggest. The compleat gentleman himself is merely a man, and perhaps we make the process of defining chivalry too difficult because we lack the faith necessary to grasp its essential simplicity. In the end, chivalry is nothing more than putting self second; it is the ultimate self-respect because in the moments that matter the compleat gentleman makes himself the servant of his God, his nation, his friends, his family, and he does so – is able to have the courage to do so – because he is governed by justice. Chivalry is justice manifest."
I like that. Hope I can strive to be like that.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...