Need to hear something to rally the spirit?

Try out this site for audio clips of some famous movie speeches. While you are at it, check out main page where they have many catagories of rhetoric.

Gotta love that St. Crispin Day speech from Henry V.

Another one that I clicked on that stirred my soul was speech to incoming freshman at Cambridge in Chariots of Fire.

Here is the text of the speech:

I take the war list and I run down it,
name after name, which I cannot read,
and which we who are older than you
cannot hear without emotion;

names which will be only names to you, the new College,
but, which to us summon up face after face,
full of honesty and goodness,
zeal and vigor,
and intellectual promise;

the flower of a generation,
the glory of England;
and they died for England
and all that England stands for.

And now by tragic necessity
their dreams have become yours.
Let me exhort you: examine yourselves.
Let each of you discover
where your true chance of greatness lies.

For their sakes,
for the sake of your College and your country,
seize this chance,
rejoice in it,
and let no power or persuasion
deter you in your task.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...