Andrew Sullivan and Flypaper Strategy in Iraq


I'm not sure I buy Sullivan's analysis but it is intriguing. The basic idea is that Iraq is now the focus of Al-Qaida terrorist activities and thus less resources are available to hit civilian targets in the USA and this is intentional on the part of the Bush Administration. Excerpt below:
Listen to U.S. Army Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, commander of U.S. ground forces in Iraq. He just opined on CNN that attacks against U.S. forces have increased in "sophistication, especially in the improvised explosive devices that they are using, and we're working to learn from that and to be able to counter them." He went on, critically: "This is what I would call a terrorist magnet, where America, being present here in Iraq, creates a target of opportunity... But this is exactly where we want to fight them. ...This will prevent the American people from having to go through their attacks back in the United States."

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...