Devotional Thoughts: Honest to God

Looking at Job 7:12-21 this night.

Am I a sea monster or a dragon
that you must place me under guard?
I think, My bed will comfort me,
and sleep will ease my misery,
but then you shatter me with dreams
and terrify me with visions.
I would rather be strangled -
rather die than suffer like this.
I hate my life and don’t want to go on living.
Oh, leave me alone for my few remaining days.

Job is continuing to pour out his heart. For those who don't read the Bible often, I wonder how surprised are they when they come across a passage like this?

It sounds sacrilegious to say something like this! The Bible in this regard is as real as the dirt on the ground in sharing the messiness of life.

What are people, that you should make so much of us,
that you should think of us so often?

When David penned Psalm 8, I wonder if he had Job on his mind?

The feeling of deja vu all over again continues ...

For you examine us every morning
and test us every moment.
Why won’t you leave me alone,
at least long enough for me to swallow!
If I have sinned, what have I done to you,
O watcher of all humanity?
Why make me your target?
Am I a burden to you?
Why not just forgive my sin
and take away my guilt?
For soon I will lie down in the dust and die.
When you look for me, I will be gone.

David says similar things in Psalm 139.

Scholars believe that Job might be one of the oldest books in the Hebrew Scriptures. David may well have grown up hearing from his elders the story of Job and those words came to his mind as he wrote Psalm 8 and Psalm 139?

In any case, both men describe God as being very much aware of who they are and in David's case this knowledge brings a sense of awe. Poor Job feels it is a burden.

What does it feel like to be God to hear Job speak with such dispair?

In Job 1-2, God takes pride in the righteousness of Job. As far as God is concerned Job's life is very worthy and not a waste.

What might God say to the angels in the heavenly realms as this is taking place?

Perhaps ... "I wish I could intervene right now and let Job know everything is okay. But I have a greater purpose for Job in what he is going through. His story of faith will be told for many successive generations. His example of honest wrestling with Me will be a source of inspiration for multitudes to come in the hundreds and thousands of years to come. I will let this play out a bit longer before I enter the stage."

Lord, I've seen friends take up this kind of persistent faith blended with honest struggle. I want to be able to be like that when I face difficulty. I want to be able to step back and see that perhaps God's view on it is different than my own. It isn't easy but if indeed you are watching then my reactions mean a lot more that I could imagine. In this regard, there are no insignificant people. Help me to care for others with this in mind. Amen.

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...