Music: something old, something new

Purists will probably turn over in their graves but I just love it when artists take something old and familiar and making something new out of it.

Check out probably the most famous organ work spiced up with violin, an orchestra and a rockish feel ...



Then there is this item brought to my attention by my NBA fan nephew where a romantic era symphonic work is mixed with hip-hop-rap and pressed into an ad for Nike ...



UPDATE: Here are the lyrics to the Nike ad. I went and downloaded the full track from iTunes. Great music to start you up in the morning. Lyric excerpts:
Now say goodbye to the past.(why?)
The future is here at last.(at last)
The second coming.(yea)
The new beginning.(yea)
The truth is speaking.(uh huh)
You should listen.
So glorious.
Victorious.
..............
If you drop, get up and try it again.(uh huh)
If you fall, get up and try it again.(uh huh)
If you drop, get up and try it again
We tired of being runners up.
We coming up. Yup.
We ready for whatever you put in front of us. (Whatever)
Blood, sweat, tears, (yeah)
We dripped all three just to get here.(here)
No longer will I wake up and my dreams just vanished.(nope)
It’s staring right at me, I must take advantage.
Hard work pays off, you get what you put in.
So why stop now?
Gotta keep pushing. (Keep pushing)
We in a fight to the finish,
So why not fight 'till you finished?
Dig it?
I’m my own author, here’s my story.
My life’s been full of pain,
Now where’s my glory?(ahh)
So glorious.
Victorious.
Of the two remixes of classical works, I think the Nike one is more powerful. The redo of Bach's Toccatta and Fugue is good and entertaining but it is a bit cliche in my book after the excellent violin work. The Nike Ad uses music from the 5th movement of Berlioz Symphony Fantastic... shall I say it is fantastic?

No comments:

Aging Parents - Random things from this season of life, part I

A handful of years ago, I entered the phase of life of helping out in looking after aging parents.  At this moment in 2024, my dad passed on...